Well, here we are smack dab in the middle of autumn and I can’t seem to get enough of pumpkin patches (we went again this weekend), hayrides (two more this weekend), and fall-scented candles (the delicious aroma of vanilla bean permeates my kitchen as I type).
And that I wouldn’t be able to limit myself to just five things.
Because the truth is, Fall is by far my favorite season – and I could list 50 reasons why. But for the sake of brevity, I’ll reign it in.
So instead, here are ten things about Fall that make me smile.
10. Cool, crisp, sunny Fall days that call out for a hike:
9. Dark and rainy Fall days that call out for me to tackle a home project… or maybe just curl up on the couch with a cup of hot tea and a good book.
8. Starbucks Chai Lattes:
In all honesty, I drink chai lattes (grande, non-fat, no water, extra hot, thankyouverymuch) year-round – even on the hottest of the dog days of summer. But that spicy sweetness always tastes best in the Fall.
7. Experiencing Halloween as a parent:
The world, I feel, is comprised of two types of people: Those who love Halloween… and those who consider it merely meh.
I’ve always fallen among the latter. Yes, even as a kid.
But two years ago, at 36 weeks pregnant, I suddenly had an overwhelming desire to “dress up” my baby bump. Which is how Lil’ Bit’s very first Halloween costume – in utero – came to be a basketball, with me as the net and Hubs as Carmelo Anthony, circa 2003. Playful… and also kind of dirty.
Then last year, I dressed up Lil’ Bit as Raggedy Ann in an adorable costume that I found online but fooled everyone into believing I’d made myself. As you can see, she was thrilled.
In short, now that I have a child of my own, I approach Halloween with…well, a sort of child-like glee.
6. Thanksgiving mornings spent curled up on the couch in my jammies watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade – my favorite parts being The Rockettes and the arrival of Santa Claus at the end to usher in the Christmas season.
5. Pumpkin-flavored anything:
4. Fall foliage:
Especially Hokie football. Preferably viewed from Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, VA, on one of the aforementioned cool, crisp fall days while sipping an $8 Coke mixed with an airplane bottle of Captain Morgan’s spiced rum that I smuggled in down my pants. Ah, the good ‘ol days…
2. Fall family fun:
And on that note…
1. Denim overalls made just for little people. Because it just doesn’t get any cuter.
What about Fall makes you smile?
Image Sources: Starbucks.com (chai); Janet Mayer/PR Photos, exposay.com (Santa Claus); Sweet Pea’s Kitchen (pumpkin scones), Village Candle (pumpkin spice candle); Tete-a-Tete (Pumpkin Ginger tea by Republic of Tea); Mel’s Kitchen Cafe (pumpkin roll); Hokiesports.com (Lane Stadium)