I’ve been a smartphone owner for exactly two weeks now and, already, there is one app that I use more than any other in all the land.
She’s like a seductive temptress luring me away from my first love – my blog – with her ease in photo editing, oh-so-brief captions, and almost-instantaneous comment love. Indeed, she gives me instant gratification in all sorts of ways that my blog never will. And she’s so pretty, too!
I’ve completely fallen under her spell. So much so that I decided to share for this week’s tapas some of my favorite Instagram moments thus far. Because really, if you think about it, Instagram is more or less the mobile version of Friday Tapas – and with more pictures, too!
So this week, enjoy some nibbles that are as much about the presentation as they are about the content.
Oooh, la, la!
• That awkward moment when you look down and realize you’ve dribbled tomato seeds down the front of your white blouse:
• This would have made a rather unfortunate typo in a press release I wrote at work about an upcoming event – and now that I think about it, probably would’ve also conveyed a grossly inaccurate perception about the nature of said event:
• I just can’t say anything snarky about this next one. Not when, moments before, Lil’ Bit had seen my face for the first time in a week, causing her own to break into one of the most achingly beautiful smiles I’ve ever seen as she exclaimed, “MOMMY!” with unabashed glee. Later, sitting side-by-side at California Pizza Kitchen over lunch, she would often look over at me, smile, stroke my arm as if to make sure I was real, and then lean in for a snuggle and a kiss. Reunited… and it felt so good:
• That said, this is the face that greeted me the following morning at 6:30 a.m. “Welcome back to reality, Mom!”
• But on her second night home, she slept uninterrupted ALL NIGHT LONG! Until 7 a.m.! And then woke up, promptly monopolized our bed, and told me that I smelled bad:
• After a three-month hiatus, during which I read Water for Elephants, The Help, and the somewhat lackluster Jodi Picoult novel Mercy, I’m diving back into Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Book seven, bitches. I’m 25 pages in – so, only 1,124 to go. Let’s do this thing:
• And here it is – photographic evidence of my signature Starbucks order. Because apparently Instagraming your Starbucks is all the rage:
• For the record, Boo is not impressed with Instagram:
What They Said
• Funny girl Yuliya of She Suggests further elaborates on the witchy ways of Instagram in Instagram Killed My Blog. Which also happens to shed some light on Yuliya’s mysterious and oft-lamented (by me, anyway) absence in the blogosphere lately.
• And showing her softer side (while maintaining her trademark dry humor), Ilana at Mommy Shorts celebrated five years of marriage this week with My Marriage: Before & After Parenthood. I resembled this post. A lot. Especially since Hubs and I had just spent a week by ourselves, alternating between waxing nostalgic for our childless days of yore and musing about how quiet and rather boring life seemed in contrast to the one we’ve come to know over the past two and a half years. Ultimately, though, we came to the same conclusion Ilana herself did: Life before parenthood was certainly easier. But better?
Not a chance.
And speaking of my life returning to its normal state of controlled chaos, I’m off to navigate a weekend that includes both a Great Gatsby-themed formal gala and my niece’s 5th birthday party. And you know what that means…
(Find me there at SaidKristin.)
By the by, have you entered my Back-to-School Beat Giveaway for the chance to win an app card for $50 in iTunes? Back-to-school season is always a good time to make a few small upgrades in life, so why not start with a revamped playlist? Enter now through Wednesday, August 15th. It’s all the fun of going back to school, with none of the maths!
So, what’s on your mind?